Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1324

Stephen Boulet wrote:

> No one seems to want to answer this question: if you dose NH4 with a product like amquel, can you eliminate its toxicity?

I wasn't aware that Amquel contained ammonia.  Are you referring the the
ammonia released from chloramines?

At any rate, uncharged NH3 is toxic, while NH4+ is relatively
non-toxic.  Both NH3 and NH4+ are present together, but the proportion
of toxic NH3 drops as the pH drops.  If you can be sure that the pH in
your tank won't rise above (for instance) 7.2, then it is possible to
dose ammonia at a safe level.  The lower you can keep you pH the higher
you can dose the ammonia.  Beware though, because the ammonia
sensitivity of different species of verts and inverts is variable and
what is safe for one critter can be toxic for another.  The amount that
you dose has to be based on response of the most sensitive critter in
your tank.

Roger Miller