Re: Carbo Plus, CO2

>Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:28:47 -0600
>From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
>Subject: Re: Carbo Plus
>>       I suspect if either of us had one in our hands we would get to
>>the bottom of this reasonably quickly, but I'm not going to buy one.
>
>I think so too.  I tried to take Ellen O'Connell up on her offer, but I
>was too late.  Neil Frank beat me to it.  Maybe Neil will run the tests.

That's the reason I contacted Ellen. I have been wondering about how this
thing works ever since Merrill first recommended it.  As soon as I get my
ponds in, I will be able to play with it. I also have to read the entire
tread on this topic (and a zillion others that I missed over the past 1-2
years) :-)

>>         How about running one in a solution of (say) sodium sulphate?
>> Neither ion will be discharged, and it should still make CO2, which
>> could be measured.

or maybe it wouldnt make CO2 without the bicarbs :-)

>Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:51:09 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Re: carbo plus
>
>With all this talk about the carbo plus, doesn't it
>see that it would be easier to just hook up a co2
>cylinder?  Man, all that trouble and for what?!

I guess you are not interested in science :-)

Also, I already have 3 CO2 cylinders connected.

>Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:33:48 -0500
>From: krombhol at teclink_net (Paul Krombholz)
>Subject: Re: Optimum CO2 levels?

>Bound carbon dioxide is probably in the form of carbonates, such as CaCO3.
>Balanced carbon dioxide is probably bicarbonate where there is equilibrium
>between H2CO3, HCO3-, and free CO2.

I agree.

>Although I don't know of any studies, I doubt that Crypts need lower CO2
>levels than Amazon swords.  In my experience, it is the opposite.  Swords
>grow pretty well for me in tanks where I do not supplement CO2, whereas
>Crypts never grow very well unless I keep CO2 levels up in the 15-30 range.

Paul, I believe that Echindorous can use bicarbonates, so they can get by
with less CO2. Because they consume lots of nutrients, they need lots of
carbon. Without adequate bicarbs, it seems reasonable that you would have
to keep them happy with CO2.