Green Soup to Clear Water in 5 Days

Hi All,

Last weekend I returned from a two week vacation to the thickest green water
I have ever experienced. The reasons why aren't really relevant, but next
time I will explain more of the workings of the tank to the caretaker. This
is a 90 gallon high-tech tank with CO2, PMDD, laterite/gravel, and 3-96 watt
CF lamps. I beat the green water this fast by:

1. Twice a day 20% water changes the first three days to dilute the
concentration.
2. Lights out except when I was working on the tank or in the room and
wanted to see.
3. A HOT Magnum with a micron filter. As far as I could tell, the filter
didn't really start being effective until the third day or so when it
started to clog, at which point it is now slowing the filter down more and
more as it gets more and more clogged and filtering smaller and smaller
particles.
4. I borrowed an 8 watt UV sterilizer from the LFS (Aquatek on Burnet Road
in Austin, Texas - A great store). This is the first time I've used UV, and
given the variety of attacks on the algae, I can't tell if it made a
difference or not. But the water IS clear, so I have to assume it helped.

The point is, green water can be quickly and easily cured. Determining the
cause is something that can be more elusive. In this case, the cause was
easily remedied. I intend to leave the UV/HOT combo in place tonight and
then return to normal maintenance tomorrow.

Tom

PS - Does anyone know the relevance of the eight spirits in Final Fantasy?
Is this an eastern mythology, or something they just made up for the movie?