Re: algae challenge

Man you write more than most:)

> This is my problem: my Boston tap water is very soft and its PH is very high
> (KH 2, GH 1.5, PH 8.4).  If I add buffers to get my KH and GH up, won't my
> PH go sky High?  Will CO2 alone, really bring it down?  What about at night
> when the CO2 if off?.

Actually adding baking soda will lower the pH in your case. Something like
adding NaOH will increase your Ph but HCO3 will not go beyond the 8.2 range.
But your pH only matters RELATIVE to the pH/KH/CO2 table. That's all you
need to know and worry about.
We can confuse you real good with all the why's and how's etc. But just do
the table and come back to this sometime in the future. Add enough buffer
for GH and KH to be around 4 or so (I like a higher GH...about 8-10). Set
your pH at 6.6 to 6.8 and that's all you need to know and worry about for
now or forever for that matter unless you just have to know more:) Look at
the table and see what pH you need for your KH. Learn this. You'll be glad
later.

 Also your not adding much in the way of GH or KH. Yes CO2 will really bring
it down. And your PO4's will also go down and you'll have less trouble with
planted tanks etc. Of course if you want trouble, keep doing it:)

> Stick to known materials - CaCO3 for GH and KH, NaHCO3 for KH.
>
> Hate to keep showing my ignorance, but would someone please remind me of the
> common names for these.  Assuming I correctly buffer with KNOWN buffers, Am
> I likely to have any problem using the Carbo Plus with my very soft, high PH
> tap water?

Calcium carbonate---sea shells(most of them) limestone, oyster shells etc
NaHCO3-baking soda

Get this part down(CO2 and KH and make sure you have enough GH to run your
Carbo Plus-don't let your GH get too low). Look up the tables and stare at
them until you get it and figure it out.
Then you can go on to nutrients........
Regards,
Tom Barr