Re: Light Shy?

Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com> wrote:

<snip>
> Here's the thing.  Since I got the PCFs, most of the
> adults are hiding a lot.  They aren't nearly as
<snip>
> Has anyone else seen anything like this?  What are
> cardinal tetras like in really bright light?  I'll bet
> they look better in partial shade.

My cardinal tetras did the same when I upped the ligths from 2 to 3 watt/g.
Eventually they got used to it and now swim everywhere, but it took
several months. I agree with you that they look better in shady
surroundings, but some sort of spotligth shinning on them makes for a much
better display. The best display of cardinals I ever saw is at the Boston
Aquarium anaconda tank. It's very dark, except for some kind of MH spot
that shines exactly on the spot where the cardinals stay. Maybe it is the
opposite, they stay there because of the ligth ? Anyway, what you see from
a distance is this shiny blue, swirling cloud against the dark. It's awesome.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD