Re:Miller's FFF Musings

> To the best of my knowledge, Dwarf Cichlids [for example] mostly make good
community fish.
I could not disagree more.   I think of cichlids in species tanks.  It
didn't take much reading for me to know that they wouldn't be a good choice
for a community tank.<<

Actually it depends on what type of cichlids. Many dwarfs are very peacefull
and shy, and only get aggressive while spawning. I have what I call a
community tank, 100 gallon with kribensis, curvecepts, laetacara, (I know I
spelled that wrong) African butterfly cichlid, Rainbow cichlid, large group
of rummy nose tetras and other assorted tetras, pencil fish, and
Apistogramma trifasciata which have 4 babbies 4 weeks old. (real cute little
apisto, coutesey of David Soares http://www.aquabotanic.com/apistopair.JPG )
Only reason its only 4 babbies is because...well I accidently sucked up most
of them in a siphon...but thats another story!

I think I have said this here before, but many cichlids will eat hair algae,
at least the type of hair algae I have...bright green fluffy strands. I have
a small tank with peices of wood attached directly to the glass. One peice
is only three inches below the water surface. This hair algae grows thick on
that peice of wood, (only place in the tank) Again, pardon my spelling,but I
am too lazy too look them up...this tank houses Rasborahs and Dicrossis. I
scoop out handfulls of the hair algae and put it in my 100 gallon tank.
Within a day or two all of my cichlids finish it off.

I have decided I like the hair algae on my wood! Its not on any of the
plants below, and it looks very pretty and natural. A lot easier to grow
that Java Moss! In fact, there is some java moss intertwined with the hair
algae. When the cichlids eat it, it's rather interesting to see them very
selectively eat only the tangled hair algae.

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
AB Newsletter 340+ members!