RE:DIY Yeast CO2

I use 2 yeast bottles on one of my tanks (30 gal).  I use my internal power
filter as a diffuser - I've drilled the casing and attached two airline
elbows so I can attach the silicon tubing running from the bottles.  I fixed
the elbows down at the bottom of the casing to keep them away from the
suction effect of the impeller but this means my CO2 is intoduced at a depth
of around 15".  I've noticed at this depth the bubble rate is much slower
than when I bubbled the gas into a collection bell near the surface.  Anyone
got an explanation for this?  Is the increased pressure in the system
exposing a leak or do I get more CO2 per bubble?