my exerpience w/green water

I just wanted to relate my experience with the method of covering a
tank full of green water.  Mine was positive.  I had green water
after about 2 or 3 weeks of being set up (120gal, 440watts).
Stopping the fertilizer (Schoeler's Natural Gold) made it go away a
bit, but once I started fertilizing again it came back heavier.  I
didn't want to spend the money on a Micron filter, so I did a number
of 50% water changes to no avail.  So I decided to do a 95%(!) water
change and then cover the tank in complete darkness for 5 days.  For
the past 2 weeks since I uncovered it, it's been crystal clear.  And
I've started to fertilize again for the past week, but only at 1/4
the recommended dose.  I'm planning to increase that little by
little.  My biggest mistake was not realizing that Natural Gold
relies on fish food & waste to provide nutrients that aren't in the
fertilizer.  My only non-plant inhabitants were algae eaters (ottos,
SAEs, yamato shrimp).  So, as soon as I uncovered the tank I went to
the store and bout some tetras. :)

Hopefully things will remain clear.  Many thanks to this list and its
active participants.

Emilio Ramirez
(at work with my car full of recyclables waiting to get dropped off)

Ideas? Appointments?  FREE SANITY with email, personal calendar, to-do-list, GRATIS! http://www.latinolink.com