Re: new tank, ammonia=0.25 mg/liter

> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:53:00 -0400
> From: heinesen at idirect_ca
> Subject: new tank, ammonia=0.25 mg/liter
>
> I am in the process of cycling a brand new 50 gal. planted tank, with a
few
> fish.  The fish have been in there for a couple of days.  This morning the
> ammonia reading is 0.25 mg/liter.  Nitrite-nitrogen concentration is too
> low to be detected.  Do I need to do anything?

When I was cycling my new tank, I had ammonia readings in the 0.5 to 1.0
range for over a week.  Lost no fish, and eventually it went to 0 when the
bacteria population grew.  I wouldn't worry about it.

> One suggestion was to put peat in the filter to reduce pH (currently pH is
> 7.5).
>
> Any other suggestions?  Or do I just wait it out?

Look up what people say about your species of fish... Do they like a pH of
7.5? or do they like it lower?

Consider the DIY CO2 described at http://www.thekrib.com/
It took me a while to make it work, but once I did, it helps the plants
grow, and keeps my pH down to 6.6 to 6.4, where the books tell me my fish
will like it better.