Re: T-8 ballasts

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Birdy wrote:

> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Birdy wrote:
> >
> > > About T-8 lamps made specifically for aquarium use...
> > >
> > > I bought a couple at the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society Auction...
> > > Therefor I know such things exist.  One is called "the Tropic Sun, 5500K
> > > daylight"  They make the usual claims about the proper spectrum of light
> for
> > > aquarium plants.  The manufacturer on the package is listed as
> >
> > Hmm... as I understood it, those were 3-foot bulbs, and I'm pretty sure
> > they were 30-watt "traditional" tubes, not 25-watt tubes.  Please check
> > when you can, and post back to the list if they really are 25-watts.
> > *Most* 3-foot tubes are T-8, but the "old" inefficient types.  I've never
> > understood why this is so, that 18" and 36" bulbs are often T-8 diameter,
> > but 24" and 48" are T-12 diameter.  Ah well.
> >
> >   - erik
>
> I checked before bidding on them... on the package they came in says very
> clearly 25 Watts.  Haven't installed them yet, it is my intention to add an
> electronic ballast to my lighting system... I am assuming that they are
> "true" T-8's made for the more efficient electronic ballasts.

Just got off the phone with Zoo Med, and they confirm that you are
correct!  All their aquarium tube sizes (18",24",36", and 48") are energy
efficient T-8's.  Tres cool!  Wish I'd bid a little higher on some of
them.  The downside is that these are so new that not a lot of folks know
about them.  The other downside is that people are probably going to try
them in their usual T12 fixtures.  The ZooMed guy said "they'll just take
a little longer to warm up" in that case.

It sounds like at this time the products seem mostly available mail-order
(the closest store in Seattle is Jones & Co. in Lynwood).

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com