Re: algae-eating shrimp

Hello,

I and several of my friends have algae eating shrimp.  They do a great job
in my tanks of getting rid of algae, but are susceptible to being prey by my
discus.  When they do feed, they do a pretty good job of getting rid of the
algae.  If you want to learn more about algae eating shrimp, take a look at
Joe Anderson's article on shrimp at the KRIB website.  He has an extensive
article on various shrimp, including the Cardina japonica, or algae eating
shrimp.

As far as the SAE's getting a little aggresive, mine are ~4 inches in length
and can get a little boisterous.  If I had a choice, I would probably trade
them in for smaller and younger ones which do a better job of cleaning
algae.  They get lazy as they get older.  Hope this helps.

Bailin