Re: Cycling

>When cycling a tank is it best to let it do it's thing or can I polish the
>water. I have 12 tetras and 4 plecs. The water is a bit cloudy. Been 4 days
>and 0 everything w/ ph of 7.2 - 7.4. No deaths yet (knock on wood). Also

The "good" bacteria that you want in your tank live attached to solid
surfaces, so using a diatom or "polishing" filter should have no effect on
them or their growth.

>what is the proper bubble count for injected CO2. One other question. How
do

Nobody can answer this for you. You have to determine the rate of CO2
introduction based upon the conditions in your tank. Accurately testing the
pH, Alkalinity and looking up the CO2 level via the chart on the KRIB or
using a separate CO2 test and then adjusting the CO2 rate to arrive at a
satisfactory balance of all three values is the only way to do this that I
know of and it will be different for each tank's individual conditions.

>I keep the temp DOWN? My water temp seems to hover around 76 without
>heating. My lights are about 12 inches from water surface. This is already
>above reccomended distance. Thanks for any advice.

Can you increase the evaporation rate maybe by using a small fan? This will
carry off some heat.

James Purchase
Toronto