Elodea canadensis

I am setting up two ponds this summer, and I have picked up a book
called  "The Pond Doctor", in this book it is stated that Elodea
canadensis is a great plant to combat an early green water breakout in
a pond as the plant starts to grow in the spring as pond water
temperature approaches 40 degrees.  I have a few questions concerning
this plant.

Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

With this plant starting to grow so early it causes me to think that
this plant may be heat sensitive,  Anyone know if this is the case?

I am unable to find this plant on any wholesale list's, is this plant
on a banned list?

If not, does anyone have any cuttings of this plant?

Thanks,
Brad Bloomquist
bloomquist at willmar_com