Re: Lighting a 90 gallon

The 6500K Iwasaki lamp is not available in 175 watt, only 250 or 400. When
it came time to replace my 175 watt Coralife, I upgraded both ballast and
lamp to the 250 watt Iwasaki. The ballast replacement was only about $60 at
a local electric supply house, the lamp was about $75. Pretty cheap for the
quality of light. It's not that hot, just provide ventilation. Metal halides
and flourescents have similar efficiencies so they give off similar heat
loads, the MH seems hotter because it is coming from a smaller source. The
hum from the ballast is only noticeable when the room is very quiet. The
ballast does get hot.