Re: TB in fresh water tanks

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 02:16:19 -0700
> From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
> Subject: re:  TB in fresh water tanks
>
> I've heard from various people including a fish store owner, that Neon

> Tetras which come into stores are nowadays almost always infected with

> Neon Tetra disease. I believe this is the same as fish TB isn't it?

Do you think so?  I don't think I've heard that before, but then I have
not really been searching for info on it.  I have had a couple batches
of neons
(about 20 all told) gradually get this disease and eventually have to be

euthanized.  I had several for about a year before they showed any signs
of
a problem at all.  However, not a single fish of another species has
ever shown
anything remotely similar.

I have cardinals and glowlights, and I know there is anecdotal evidence
of other species (eg cardinals) getting NTD, but nothing ever showed up
in any
of my other fish while I had the neons (about 13 months all told) or
since.

Seems too species specific to be TB in my mind.  I'm just guessing
though!

> That suggests to me that the bacterium or virus is pretty well endemic

> to our aquaria. Exposure to it is probably much more common than we
> realize. I always try to treat any tiny scratch with iodine if I
notice
> one when I'm working in the tanks. Still, its going to get under your
> fingernails and then you spread it yourself into your eyes or nasal
> passages. Fortunately for us mammals and the majority of our piscine
> friends, we don't get too sick from all the bacteria that we ingest
> every day without even knowing it! ;-)

Yep, my fishtank is one of the last things I worry about when thinking
about getting an infection.  In reality, I think you are far more likely
to catch
something off the bus seat, or the photocopier, or the water cooler,
or the.....etc.  Of course general good hygiene is a safe bet at all
times,
for our fishies and ourselves ;-)