re: TB in fresh water tanks

I've heard from various people including a fish store owner, that Neon
Tetras which come into stores are nowadays almost always infected with
Neon Tetra disease. I believe this is the same as fish TB isn't it?

That suggests to me that the bacterium or virus is pretty well endemic
to our aquaria. Exposure to it is probably much more common than we
realize. I always try to treat any tiny scratch with iodine if I notice
one when I'm working in the tanks. Still, its going to get under your
fingernails and then you spread it yourself into your eyes or nasal
passages. Fortunately for us mammals and the majority of our piscine
friends, we don't get too sick from all the bacteria that we ingest
every day without even knowing it! ;-)

Elvis