RE: CO2 Test Kits

Seems like a lot of people are coming down on Red Sea CO2 test kits for
generally useless results. I don't mean to jump to the company's defense,
but the problem might be due to the age of the kits (reagents) and not to
the kits themselves. Some chemical reagents used in test kits have a
definate "shelf life" and beyond that you can't depend upon them for
accurate readings.

The people who have had bad luck with Red Sea kits might just have lucked
into a bunch of old test kits which had been sitting on dealers shelves.

I have a whole raft of LaMotte and Hach test kits, considered by most of us
as being among the most accurate a hobbyist can buy and I have also run into
problems with expired reagents, so the problem is not limited to Red Sea. It
pays to replace your reagents on a regular basis (another reason to buy a
quality kit in the first place - cheap ones rarely have reagent replacements
available separately).

James Purchase
Toronto