Java Moss and "Noxious Plants"

In a message dated 3/26/00 1:54:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,

> <<
>   > Last summer, I put some new aquarium plants directly in to my pond.
>   >  Apparently, what appears to be Java moss was on something, and it has
>   taken over.  It covers everything.  Last summer I was taking it out by
the
>   >  bucketful and a few days later it would be back.  I figured the winter
>  cold
>   >  would take care of it, but it didn't.
>   >
>   >  Also, since I gave some hardy Lilly starts to friends, now their ponds
>  are
>   >  also infested with it.  Any help appreciated.
>
>   If it is actually Java moss(it probably is), I have a couple of
suggestions-

>   1) drain the pond, fill it with gasoline, and light it with a VERY long
>  match.
>
>   2) fill the pond in and start over at least 35 meters away from the
> original
>   site.
>
>   3)Roundout  It kills every green thing it gets close to.
>
>   4).... Well, actually, those are the best three I can come up with.
>
>   As for your neighbors, I can only suggest that you pray long and hard
that
>   God erase their memories of where this blight originated.  Failing that
you

>   can either hire a couple of bodyguards or move out of town.
>   ;-)
>
>   But seriously, if you can find a type of pond fish that will eat it, it
>   doesn't grow very fast.  It will, however, always manage to survive in a
>   little tiny corner somewhere, and come back again when your fish get fat
> and
>   lazy. >>
>
>  Well, this stuff grows fast in hot weather.  What is the best way to
>  positively ID this for sure if it is Java Moss?  Can someone send me
>  descriptions or any sites online?
>  Or if I send them a small sample?
>
>  Worse than doing it to a neighbor, I did it to my best friend's two ponds.

>  He keeps referring to it as algae and I keep correcting him.  Guess I'd
>  better keep my mouth shut.  :>

Well, folks, maybe those of us upset with new state and feneral regfulations
can learn something from this tale of woe.  Java moss comes from a tropical
climate and should die over the winter, but obviously it does well enough to
recover in the spring.  Acidental introductions, even into a pond, can lead
to migratory birds like ducks spreading it around town.  Now that Chuck has
spread it around his neighborhood, it could easily be dragged off to a nearby
river.  From there, who knows?  Let's be careful, okay folks?

And Chuck, I don't mean to be picking on you, but this is just too perfect an
example of human carelessness with a non-native species.  You certainly
didn't intend to put it into your pond, it just hitched a ride with your
other plants.  And now it's all over town.

Live and learn, huh? :-)

Bob Dixon