NFC: Re: Native Fish Conservancy Digest V1 #431

Native Fish Conservancy Digest wrote:

> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 16:40:27 GMT
> From: klaus.schoening at jungle_org (Segeberger)
> Subject: NFC: Ponder needs help
>
>    I tried the url listed below for the heartbreaking story you
> mentioned and it didn't work .... can you you tell me what the correct
> url is?
>
> . Please check out this site

OOps- Sorry , I guess I worked to many hours last week. I get this on digest, & do
not have enough time daily to read my e-mail--The correct site address is
http://www.houseofphotography.com/kramer/pond.htm
It is an interesting problem in Michigan. They have destroyed a persons natural
pond and now the wildlife has no where to go. How can they just leave the fish etc.
to die! I guess a city can do anything it wants, even if it is on your land.

> Those ponds are indeed lovely and I was especially interested by the
> community service project ... do you think they could also do a small
> one with native fish in it? What part of the country is this in?

We are based in St. John , Indiana- but our members are from Dyer, Hammond,
Merrillville, Crown Point, Lowell, Demotte, Indiana and Lansing, Homewood, Grant
Park, Beecher, Crete, Monee, Illinois- just to name a few towns,All of us have some
native fish (Thanks to birds) in our ponds. I personally have joined this list in
the hopes of learning more about stocking my pond with native inhabitants. ( My
pond is -the pond of the month 10,000 gals) Due the great success of Homer Iddings
School pond project, the students are now interested in their science class,   The
Hammond High School has requested us to reconstruct their pond. We have agreed to
pay for an adequate filtration system at our last meeting. Members are now trying
to find out what's at the bottom of the muddy pond, and determine what else is
needed. I will suggest a native fish pond and see how they feel about it. This club
is always open to suggestions and trying new ideas so maybe.....if I get a positive
response, would someone in this area be willing to come and give a speech on native
fish? We are non-profit, so it would have to be a freebie, as we donate most of our
money to charitable causes.

> - -> This is not as important as the above, but while I'm writing---
> - -> Our pond club has updated the web site with the pond tour pictures if
> - -> any one is interested-   http://www2.famvid.com/dfish

Have a great day,
Donna