Re: NFC: Cloudy Water

I remember when that information came out.  It makes you wonder
how these products (especially one which was highly promoted
about a year before the new findings were released) were "tested
and proven".

> The instant cultures available in stores DO NOT work.   The bacteria that
> do the work for us in aquaria are unknown bacteria that don't appear to
> grow well in culture (the bacteria previously believed to do this work,
> Nitrosomona and Nitrobacter (yea, I know, I just completely botched the
> spelling) do grow in cultures taken from fish tanks, but recent data shows
> that they are not present in signifigant quantities in either our filter
> systems, or gravel beds.  Therefore, purchasing an instant culture will
> only cuase more problems, as its the wrong bacteria.  In theory, as they
> are likely present in small quantities it would work for a small period .
> . . . )
>
> ----------
> > Thanks for your help guys. However, I now have more questions:
> >
> > > You've got a bacterial bloom, most likely associated with > "new tank
> > syndrome."  Do some water changes, add          > (Temporarily) a
> > bubbler, and it should clear up in under a > week.
> >
> > Is it necessary to bother with water changes even when there's no fish?
> > If I let the bacteria go unhindered, won't it eventually "cycle out"
> > anyway?
> >
> > > Without a substantial amount of plants, you will continue > to suffer
> > > from
> > "new-tank syndrome."
> >
> > Are you saying this will happen all the time, even after fish have been
> > living in there for a while? Is it possible to keep plants *without*
> > adding anything to the gravel substrate? I've looked into this before
> > and got extremely varying and uncertain replies.
> >
> > > wall of bubbles from a "bubble wand" or several airstones > can cool
> > > and
> > help oxygen levels.
> >
> > How much would a large bubble bar cool a 37 gal. tank, 2-3 degrees
> > maybe?
> >
> > > I like a sponge filter, from an established tank, to get a > good
> > population of nitrogen-converting bacteria going.    > Something needs
> > to be done to trap ammonia and nitrites   > (both poisonous) and convert
> > them to less-harmful         > nitrates.
> >
> > There's nobody around here that I know of where I can get a reliably
> > safe "seed" culture. Does anybody know if any of those "instant"
> > cultures available in the stores work or not?
> >
> > Tony Gustafson

> > Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite.com
> > Talk online at http://voicechat.excite.com

Prost,

Martin

Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/

"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade

"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes