NFC: Collecting trip

Since I asked in the survey to see more accounts of collecting trips, here is
one of my own:

My son and I went to Hartman Creek in Sheboygan, WI and had a great time
catching a couple specimens each of two species of darters (which I am
embarassed to say I have not yet identified) and a creek chub (Semolitus
atromaculatus). The chubs are guarding their nests at this time.  When I
brought them home, one pair of the darters promptly spawned against the side
of the glass.

Question: Do females lay eggs when stressed that are infertile or are they
released only in "normal" spawning activity? This particular pair seemed
pretty amorous in their behavior but I missed the actual laying of the eggs.

Regards,

Kevin DeVries