Re: Salt and fungus

Suggest using 1 tsp per gallon - most fish can tolerate this.  Rock
salt, pickling salt or kosher salt is fine, as long as there are no
additives.  Pure salt only. Be careful about using too many antibiotics
as most of them will effectively kill off your nitrifying bacteria and
cause the fish to have to deal with not only the fungus, but also rising
levels of ammonia and/or nitrite, which are both quite toxic and
stressful to the fish.

Frequent water changes, salt (only add salt to the makeup water at the
same concentration) and good amounts of quality foods, coupled with a
natural setting to reduce stress and maybe a water conditioner will be
quite helpful.

Fungus is caused by damage due to injury, coupled with stress.  Suggest
using Stress Guard, NovAqua or other water conditioner that contains
electrolytes and slime replacement substances which will help control
fungus, especially if the acclimation tank is also dosed ahead of time
with some salt.  Most plants have little tolerance for salt, however,
java moss, java fern and tapegrass (vallisineria) seem to be able to
tolerate higher levels.