RE: NANFA-- Re: FW: ENDANGERED PALLID STURGEON RELEASED Editorial

I have to agree with Jay here.  At least in part.  I think compromises can
be made between the needs of wildlife and the needs of man.  I thought the
video I sent out at least showed that a few people were at least willing
to do SOME compromise.  Unfortunately, we all need to eat.  I just think
that industry, agriculture and ourselves have gotten into ruts of thinking
and now we believe there is only one way of doing something.  I bet we
would be amazed at how fast alternative electrical generation methods like
solar and wind power would develop if a series of disasters, i.e.
earthquakes...no eco-terrorism please...:)  were to take out some of these
dams.  It comes down to the buck.  If we can convince people that there's
a pay off to keeping streams, rivers and other habitats clean...then we
have them by the purse strings for life.  I think though, that starts with
education...a point Jay makes well.  Perhaps all we have are little
shallow victories like the one achieved for the Topeka Shiner in the Mill
Creek watershed, but I'll take the little victories, however the
spin-doctors abuse it over not having any victories at all.  Educate and
win...that's the way to make real change.

Thus ends my 'sermon of the month'.  Who's next on the reply schedule? :)

Luke