Re: Plants for a shiner tank

Kudzu said;
>I am surprised that your
>sand with gravel works with an UGF. I would have thought that the sand
>would have stopped it up. Very interesting! Have you torn it down

It's not sand, it's a gravel - about 1/8' in diameter.  It's too big to fit
through the holes in the filter plate.  I also use plastic screen material
over the filter plate.

I find, personally, that growing the plants with a UG filter is kinda like
growing them hydroponically.  There is a constant flow of fresh oxygenated
water flowing through the gravel.  The roots seem to feed the plants from
the mulm and detrius that is under the filter or trapped in the gravel.
I've tried solid layer substrate, but I found that I had problems with dead
zones

The "Phishhed"