Re: Plants for a shiner tank

>  I'm going to have to disagree with y'all about the use of UG
filters in a
plant tank.  <<

Well I hope I didn't say they wouldn't work! Because yes they will!
They are just not the ideal setup for plants. I am surprised that your
sand with gravel works with an UGF. I would have thought that the sand
would have stopped it up. Very interesting! Have you torn it down
since you set it up? Would be interesting to see how much sand is
under the filter plates and how much if any is stopped up by sand.

>>I know that this set up won't work for everybody, but it works for
me.  If you are starting out with live plants, the best thing to do is
to experiment and find out what works best for you.  The main thing is
to obtain a balance where everything works together.<<

I couldn't have said it better myself! :-)

I have a 65 gallon with 120 watts of light, substrate is sand over
Hartz kitty litter. I add CO2 with a Do It Yourself rig and have to
trim plants every couple of weeks. Like you said you have to find
something that works for you!

Jeff <*\\><
"Consider carefully what you hear", he continued "With the measure you
use it, it will be measured to you -- and even more.  Whoever has will
be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken
from him." Mark 4:24,25
www.airnet.net/kudzu/ "Kudzu's Christian Clipart Collection"