Re: Feeding natives??

The Gambusia (translation: worthless) is easy to keep and as you discovered
will eat flake food (and just about anything else).  They are very prolific
and will survive in just about any conditions, but they can be nasty to
tankmates as they tend to nip fins.
The Silversides, if like the ones I've collected in MO, do well as
community fish if the tankmates are not overly aggressive.  They too will
take flake food or live food (they feed by sight).

Dave Hall