Re: BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com: Non-member submission from [

My understanding of the differences between NANFA and NFC is exactly
what you pointed out in your last paragraph. NANFA is primarily a native
fish hobbyist group, with some interest in selected conservation
efforts.  The regular pilgrimages of Peter Unmack and associates to Ash
Meadows is a good example, however, it should be noted that most, if not
all, regional activities are funded by the Regional Coordinators and/or
members, and are not financially supported by the NANFA BOD. The NFC, on
the other hand, can be expected to funnel significant funds to
grassroots projects, because that is where the main focus of the NFC is:
the fish and their habitat.  NFC, unlike NANFA, actively seeks
partnering opportunities to achieve common goals.  The NFC will operate
as a non-partisan, nonprofit, tax-exempt organization dedicated to
conservation of native fish AND their habitats on which they depend for
survival.

NANFA's primary focus is on the hobbyist with a secondary focus on
conservation, primarily one day Ash Meadows type projects.  NFC, on the
other hand, is more concerned with conservation initiatives involving
land or easement acquisition, ecological research, etc., of which
promotion of recreational collecting and keeping of native fish in
aquariums is only a part, albeit an important one.

The other main difference which you might note from comparing the
foundational documents of the two organizations is that NANFA is an
organization centered on its BOD and, to a much lesser extent, its
Regional Coordinators. NFC, on the other hand, limits its BOT to
high-level policy decisions and devolves responsibility and authority to
the people doing the work of the NFC, at many levels. To implement its
extensive agenda, the NFC will need to do some serious fundraising and
recruitment to meet its intended goal of 10,000 members by the year
2000. I, for one, believe that the NFC will not only reach that goal, it
will surpass it, as the NFC is a "big tent" type of organization, with
something for just about anyone interested in native fish, whether
hobbyist, biologist, sport fisherman, etc.

The best documents for getting a good overview of what NFC is all about
is to read our Mission Statement, Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws,
which were adopted on April 18, 1998 and should be available for review
at the NFC website, along with the first set of FAQ's.

Hope this sheds a bit more light on the subject.

Dwight D. Moody, NFC Secretary/Treasurer

>From owner-nanf at actwin_com Thu Apr 23 11:50:09 1998
>Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:46:00 -0600 (MDT)
>From: Josh Wiegert <jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com>
>To: nanf at actwin_com
>Subject: BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com:    Non-member submission from ["Merle
G. McCartney" <Merle.G.McCartney at usa_dupont.com>]    (fwd)
>Sender: owner-nanf at actwin_com

NANFA's
>mission includes nearly identical wording, why not push to amend
NANFA's
>charter to accomodate this function.
>
>To summarize my questions:
>Is the principle focus of th NFC on fund raising - i.e., is that what
>distinguishes this organization from NANFA?
>
>Why not modify NANFA's charter to accomodate the goals of the NFC? Why
do
>we need two very similar organizations?
>
>Finally, you remarked that the "Nature Conservancy would never support
>(financially speaking) a regional activity...".  I'm not sure what you
had
>in mind here, but the local chapters of the Nature Conservancy that
I've
>been associated with have all supported regional activities.  That's
why
>they have local chapters.  Granted, they probably aren't going to pitch
in
>to help bring a pond back to life in the middle of a subdivision.
Given
>their resource constraints, they go for the bigger picture.  So, is the
>role you envision for the NFC to pick up where the larger organizations
>leave off?
>
>I hope my questions don't come across as criticism of the NFC attempt.
>think it's a valid proposition, but I also think it needs some serious
work
>(be glad to help, by the way).   NANFA always struck me as a hobbiest
>organization at the core, with conservation interests.  I am more
>interested in a scientific/conservation organization at the core, with
>hobbiest interests.  Hopefully that is what you have in mind with the
NFC -
>but some of the language leads me to think otherwise.
>
>Merle McCartney

Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish and remained
within it for three days and three nights. Afterwards,
he was "vomited" (literal translation) onto the beach
to go and minister to the people of Ninevah (Jonah 2:1-11).
While we often find references in aquarium books
concerning the first instances of fishkeeping
by humans, this appears to be the first instance
of humankeeping by a fish!