BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com: Non-member submission from ["Merle G. McCartney" <Merle.G.McCartney at usa_dupont.com>] (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:16:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-nanf at actwin_com
To: owner-nanf at actwin_com
Subject: BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com:    Non-member submission from ["Merle G. McCartney" <Merle.G.McCartney at usa_dupont.com>]

>From jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com  Thu Apr 23 11:15:31 1998
From: "Merle G. McCartney" <Merle.G.McCartney at usa_dupont.com>
To: "'robert a rice'" <robertrice at juno_com>
Cc: "'NANF at actwin_com'" <NANF at actwin_com>
Subject: RE: Native Fish Conservancy?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:16:16 -0400

If you have, somewhere in your various messages, told me how the NFC is
different from NANFA, I still don't get it.  Sorry I'm a little slow on the
uptake.

I'm guessing that you perceive the main difference to lie in the area of
funding of conservation efforts, public awareness, and research.  So, back
to the NANFA mission statement which I quote again, "..to increase
appreciation of native species through observation, study, research,
captive husbandry, and the restoration and improvement of their natural
habitat; to assemble and distribute information...".    How is this
different?  Is the NFC primarily a fund-raising organization that channels
money into conservation projects (including habitat restorartion, captive
breeding, education, etc.), whereas NANFA does not?  If so, since NANFA's
mission includes nearly identical wording, why not push to amend NANFA's
charter to accomodate this function.

To summarize my questions:
Is the principle focus of th NFC on fund raising - i.e., is that what
distinguishes this organization from NANFA?

Why not modify NANFA's charter to accomodate the goals of the NFC? Why do
we need two very similar organizations?

Finally, you remarked that the "Nature Conservancy would never support
(financially speaking) a regional activity...".  I'm not sure what you had
in mind here, but the local chapters of the Nature Conservancy that I've
been associated with have all supported regional activities.  That's why
they have local chapters.  Granted, they probably aren't going to pitch in
to help bring a pond back to life in the middle of a subdivision.  Given
their resource constraints, they go for the bigger picture.  So, is the
role you envision for the NFC to pick up where the larger organizations
leave off?

I hope my questions don't come across as criticism of the NFC attempt.  I
think it's a valid proposition, but I also think it needs some serious work
(be glad to help, by the way).   NANFA always struck me as a hobbiest
organization at the core, with conservation interests.  I am more
interested in a scientific/conservation organization at the core, with
hobbiest interests.  Hopefully that is what you have in mind with the NFC -
but some of the language leads me to think otherwise.

Merle McCartney