BGran83736 <BGran83736 at aol_com>: NANFA-- Re: ASIH information/ Elassoma zonatum

From: BGran83736 <BGran83736 at aol_com>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Cc: jfitzs at unix1_sncc.lsu.edu, JIMatLSU at aol_com,
tblanch at unix1_sncc.lsu.edu
Subject: NANFA-- Re: ASIH information/ Elassoma zonatum
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:58:44 EST

Hi all,

While reading the American Society of Ichtyologists and Herpotologists
76th
Annual Meeting catalog, I came across the following information on
Elassoma
zonatum:

"Authors: Echelle, A.F., and Echelle, A.A. (AFE,AAE) Zoology Dept.,
Oklahoma
State University, Stillwater, OK 74078 USA

Breeding behavior in the banded pygmy sunfish (Elassoma zonatum)

Breeding behavior of banded pygmy sunfish is described and illustrated
with
video. The courtship sequence is complex and accompanied by color pattern
changes in the male. The male, initially in an aggressive state, displays
the female with "wiggle-waggle", a conspicuous motion involving all the
fins.
Wiggle-waggle continues during leading behavior as the male repeatedly
swims
up and down while moving to a predetermined spawning site over a patch of
vegetation. If the female follows, the male switches to pointing behavior
consisting of intense trembling in a head-down,  vertical position, snout
directed toward the spawning site. With the female over the site, the
male
begins nudging her ventrolaterally near the anal fin and genital papilla.
The
female then starts releasing eggs and the male performs sidewise and
forward
twitches during which milt is presumably emitted. There is no nest
construction nor parental care beyond male territorial defense. (Session
54,
Tuesday June 18, Vieux Carre A, 4:00.) "

This information is meant for the use of the membership of NANFA and must
not
be mis-used or reproduced without specific acknowledgement of the
authors.
Please contact the authors for any additional information desired. NANFA
also
wishes to acknowledge the authors for their work in studying our North
American Native species.

Best Regards,

BG Granier
Vice President-NANFA
608 Maureen Dr.
Baker, LA 70714
(504)775-6400
bgcajun at juno_com

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org