"Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>: Re: NANFA-- More articles...........

From: "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- More articles...........
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:35:21 +0000

Robert Rice's article said:

> then dip out your
> fish into the tank, never, I repeat, never dump the water
> into the tank, that is the number one way to transmit
> disease and parasites.

and predators in my case.  Periodically I dip algae from a pond and
dump it into a tank of Lucania parva.  The killies love this and I do
it for that tank only.  I can't get them to take flake or live food
nearly as well as they like to graze on algae and its associated
animal life.

So, I am willing to take the chance of introducing a parasite (mostly
they are in other organisms or in sediments anyway).   A couple of
weeks ago I noticed a large molting dragonfly larvae in the tank as I
changed the water.  The tank has a very dense mass of Hornwort.  I
think the dragonfly was in there for over a month and killed at least
one fish, probably more.  I thought I was feeding the fish and the
fish ended up being the food (I'm an idiot).  Gotta check that algae
more closely from now on...

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org