Doug Robert Myers <DMYERS at wpgate_glo.state.tx.us>: NANFA-- Breeding Sheepshead Topminnows -Reply

From: Doug Robert Myers <DMYERS at wpgate_glo.state.tx.us>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Breeding Sheepshead Topminnows -Reply
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:55:02 -0600

I've had some success breeding sheepshead minnows and several
similar fish like mummichogs. I assume you are talking about Cyprinodon
variegatus, the brackish water sheepshead minnow.   The first trick is
make them think its summer.  At least 12 hours of daylight and 75-80
degree temps will get the males in spawning condition.  Feed them a
variety of foods beyond just flakes.  Krill paste or freeze dried tubefex
worms, etc.  You'll know when they get a brilliant blue patch behind
their
head and their fins turn orange.  The best ratio would be one male to
three females.  They also like some kind of spawning mat for their eggs
to stick to.  You may want to try both surface and bottom mats because
I've seen them use both.  Monitor for eggs every day.  They usually only
release 10-15 eggs at a time per female.  Remove the eggs to hatch out
elsewhere, the adults will eat them.  Stay on the look out for nematodes,
they can attack the eggs and keep them from hatching.  Good Luck.  Let
me know how it goes.

>>> Hatch <barryhatch at sprintmail_com> 11/18/97 12:53am >>>
What does it take to breed sheepshead minnows. I'd like to try them as
my first native fish to breed.  also what are other good natives to
start breeding.  I'd like to get some experience then try the harder
species.

Keith
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org