Hy Finkelstein <HFINKELSTEIN at Cerritos_edu>: NANFA-- California Collecting

From: Hy Finkelstein <HFINKELSTEIN at Cerritos_edu>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- California Collecting
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:32:22 -0800 (PST)

Been living here for a long time, and it is ILLEGAL to collect and remove
any
"bait fish" from the water it was collected from.  In other words,
collecting
is illegal in California.  I have talked to the game warden when the
little
stream by my house was drying up.  I told him I'd like to collect and
hold some
of the fish til the county allowed more water into the stream (yes its
flow is
totally dependant on the county's whim) and then I would return the fish.
 Was
told on no uncertain terms that the state regulations required ALL FISH
removed
from the water to be DEAD upon transit.

It is possible to get a "Scientific Permit" to collect fish.  One needs
to fill
out a form and have a justifiable reason to be collecting the fish.
Being a
hobbyist is not a justifiable reason.  A special permit is required for
anything endangered and is very hard to get.
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org