"Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>: NANFA-- (Fwd) Question -- Sunfish

From: "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net, "Bock, Robert" <BockR at hd03_nichd.nih.gov>
Subject: NANFA-- (Fwd) Question -- Sunfish
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:56:42 +0000

Here's a message I received from someone who apparently saw Bob
Bock's recent article:

Hi...

We found your webpage address in an article about Sunfish in a recent
Aquarium Fish magazine.  We looked up the page seeking information on a
fish we recently caught, and placed in an aquarium, a Sunfish found in a
local man-made lake.  We believe the fish is a Pumpkinseed Sunfish but
aren't sure.  It's about 5 1/5 inches from nose to tip of tail,
it has a tourquoise blueish body, orange spots, a black
"ear" with a bright red spot on it, an orange belly and although our
fish doesn't seem to have it, others we've seen have bright blue fins
where ours is kinda light brownish fins.

We are desparate for information about the fish, what it eats, the water
chemistry it prefers, it's exact scientific name, how to sex it, etc.
(So far, we've only been able to get it to eat cut-up earthworms.)
Do you have any ideas about where to find such information?  Have you
had articles in your association newsletter about keeping Pumpkinseed's
in an aquarium?  If so, how much are reprints?  We plan on joining your
association, although it appears the closest local representative is in
Oregon!  Ah, well.

We would appreciate any information, references, etc. you could provide
us.  Just point your finger and we'll go running as we need as much
information about this beautiful fish as possible in order to keep it
happy and healthy.  We were considering adding another fish or two, but
want to wait until we know more about the needs and moods of this fish.

Thank you for -any- help you can offer...and by the way, We are writing
this from a remote terminal, so please make sure you respond to our
-correct- e-mail address:

lisaa at sincom_com

Thanks again!!

Lisa & Joe
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org