Re: NANFA-- (Fwd) Question -- Sunfish

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:56:42 +0000 "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
writes:
>Here's a message I received from someone who apparently saw Bob
>Bock's recent article:
>
>Hi...
>
>We found your webpage address in an article about Sunfish in a recent
>Aquarium Fish magazine.  We looked up the page seeking information on
>fish we recently caught, and placed in an aquarium, a Sunfish found in
>local man-made lake.  We believe the fish is a Pumpkinseed Sunfish but
>
>aren't sure.  It's about 5 1/5 inches from nose to tip of tail,
>it has a tourquoise blueish body, orange spots, a black
>"ear" with a bright red spot on it, an orange belly and although our
>fish doesn't seem to have it, others we've seen have bright blue fins
>where ours is kinda light brownish fins.

Where are you located ? THat would give us a better idea what Kind of
Sunnie we are lookinh at............

>We are desparate for information about the fish, what it eats, the
>water
>chemistry it prefers, it's exact scientific name, how to sex it, etc.
>
>(So far, we've only been able to get it to eat cut-up earthworms.)
>Do you have any ideas about where to find such information?

Try Petersons Field Guide to Native Fishes

Have you
>had articles in your association newsletter about keeping
>Pumpkinseed's
>in an aquarium?  If so, how much are reprints?  We plan on joining
>your
>association, although it appears the closest local representative is
>in
>Oregon!  Ah, well.

NahhhhhhhhhhhhhThere are regional reps in most states join on up there
are lots of us :)