legal collecting

In the state of Kansas, collecting for home aquaria apparently falls under
the umbrella of catching bait or game fish. The legal methods for taking
bait are stipulated in the fishing regulations and require a valid state
fishing permit. Legal methods include:
        seine less than 15 ft long & 4 ft deep, mesh not larger than 1/4 inch
        fish-trap with throat less than 1 in diameter & mesh not larger than
1/4 inch
        fishing line
        dip- or cast-net with mesh less than 3/8 inch
In addition, bait fish must be less than 12 inches and an individual cannot
possess more than 500 individuals. "Bait" is also tightly defined to include
members of the minnow or carp family (Cyprinidae), sucker family
(Catostomidae), top minnows or killifish family (Cyprinodontidae), shad
family (Clupeidae), and the sunfish family (Centrarchidae), specifically
EXCLUDING black basses and crappie. "Bait" also specifically excludes all
Kansas and T & E species. Game fish may be taken by a variety of methods,
but are subject to licence, creel limits, and length limits. Note that
darters are not mentioned in either of these categories. To the best of my
knowledge, the state of Kansas requires a Scientific Collecting Permit to
take and hold fishes that do not fall within the descriptions of bait or
game fish.
---Kate Shaw