[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Nomclemature (anyone know how to spell that?)

You wrote:

>Looking through a book on Native Fish in NY, I read over the names
>refference for Small Mouth bass.  One of the refferences was Cichla
>fasciata, 1822 Lesueur.  Lake Erie at Erie and Buffolo.  A second was
>Cichla minima, same year and author, Lake Erie Lagoons.  As the SM
bass
>is Micropterus dolomieui, I take it its trivial name has changed and
one
>of the refferences is Large Mouth.  Just wanted to share the
information
>that Bass were once considered Cichla's.  I am wondering if it is
>possible the genus was changed and later resurected for modern
cichlids?
>Anyone know?  I am one of the few people who actualy like
Nomclemature,
>even though I can't spell it (but then, I can't spell didly skwat).
><><
>J. L. Wiegert
>NANF at actwin_com List Manager

Heh heh,

  I think it's Binomial-nomenclature (I know it's spelled wrong):)  Too
many classes in latin and science(although science wasn't too bad).
Anyways, I was in a discussion with some people yesterday and they were
still convinced that large mouth bass are in the cichla nomenclature. I
dunno when it was changed or who did it, but it is interesting.

                                        Later all,
                                    Chris Lorance

Follow-Up(s):