Re: NFC: New AAT effort

I just updated the AAt lists its up past 30 members with over 50 tanks I
believe...anyhow get me Chri's info and I will be happy to add him and
well done for getting involved with this project.............

Robert Rice
NFC president
www.nativefish.org

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:32:37 -0500 (CDT) Sajjad Lateef <sajjad at acm_org>
writes:

> The NFC is working with the Niles West High School in the Chicago
> suburbs
> to setup a 125 Gallon native fish tank. The tank and wet-dry
> filteration
> system already exist. The NFC has been requested to help out with
> fish,
> plants and technical support. I will be working with Chris Burnett
> of the
> School's biology department on this project.
>
> I had an extensive chat with Chris today. He is currently working
> obtain a better lighting system (fluorescent full spectrum lights in
> two
> four-bulb commercial fixtures), a timer as well as Turface or
> Construction
> Sand for substrate.
>
> I would like to obtain some plants for this tank. Can someone help
> me out
> by sending me hardy native plants (prefer those with roots)?
> eg: Ceratophyllum (hornwort), Echinodronus (sword plants),
> Spatterdock, Ludwigia/Hygrophilia , Eel grass/Valliseneria,
> Sagittaria.
> Bacopa, Cabomba would be good too but I've never had good luck with
> them.
>
> As for the fish, we are planning on setting up the tank with plants
> first
> and then start on fish. The fish will represent a typical lake
> (some
> different minnows, some sunfish, a catfish or a few madtoms,
> snails,
> etc.). Prefer fish that are native to Illinois/Wisconsin/Indiana
> area.
>
> Please contact me if you can send some plants, say around
> late-September.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sajjad
> --
> Sajjad Lateef   email: sajjad <at> acm.org
> Chicago, IL     web: http://www.lateef.org/sajjad/

Robert Rice
NFC president
www.nativefish.org