Re: NFC: endangered species

--- "R.J. Rogers" <minnowman56 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone in the NFC is keeping
> and breeding any
> endangerd species. I would think that would be a
> major goal of the
> organization since these species need all the help
> they can get and we all
> know how useless the Endangered Species Act is when
> it comes to bringing
> these species back from the brink. How many species
> has the government
> saved??? What a joke this program is. These fish
> belong in hobbyist tanks
> where they will get TLC and not trample on private
> property rights. The NFC
I am afraid that the ESA has actually worked for
species. Bald eagles and peregrine falcons are now in
much better shape. But it is really habitat
preservation that is the issue. Devils Hole Pupfish
only live in one spring. If that spring is lowered
because of groundwater pumping the fish disappear.
That almost happened in the 1970s. But the Supreme
Court ruled in the fish's favor under the ESA. Many
think that is trampling property rights. But the
habitat was preserved. It is now owned by the horrible
US government. And the fish survive. A bad outcome?

Boo Radley, Saraland, Alabama