NFC: Mannate Springs

I wanted to alert you to a serious environmental threat that is looming
in
Levy County.  Very few people have been notified about this proposed
lime rock mine which will be within 4000 feet (less than one mile, 5280
feet)
of the Manatee State Park boundary.  It will be 1 6/10 of a mile from
the
Suwannee River and just under three miles from Manatee Spring itself.

A petition was filed in the Levy county zoning office by White
Construction
Company (owned by Luther White who I have been told has numerous and
hefty
outstanding and unpaid fines levied against him by the DEP although I
have
not verified this info) petitioning the Board for a Special Exception to

allow a limerock mine aka "Manatee Pit" (land clearing, stripping
overburden, blasting, excavating, and crushing of limerock), on a 160
acre
parcel of land located in an Agriculture/Rural Residential zone.  This
operation will be visible from County road 320, locally known as Manatee

Road (the road to Manatee State Park) and also from NW 110th Ave,
locally
known as Clay Landing Road which is the public boat landing for this
area of
the Suwannee River.

This petition will go before the Levy County Zoning board on Monday,
August
6, at 7:30 pm in the County Commissioners Room, at the Levy County
Courthouse in Bronson, FL  Many of the local residents whose property
will
be directly impacted have not been notified of the possibility of this
mine
and there has been no coverage in the local paper.  The area that the
mine
would be located in is a residential area that borders the state park.
The
property is at the current time being used as agricultural land for
growing
silage and for pasturing cattle.  Most people are completely unaware of
the
proposed mine.

The most important thing is for people to be physically present at the
meeting on August 6 to protest this change in the zoning law.  Send a
letter
to the zoning board, Levy County Building and Zoning, Levy County
Courthouse, PO Box 672, Bronson, Florida 32621.  It must be received in
the
office ten days prior to the zoning meeting, July  27.  Some surrounding

land owners were notified by mail on July 16.  The intention is to
notify as
few people as possible leaving them with as little time as possible to
reply.  Many of the surrounding residents are not here during the
summer.
They are lower income elderly retirees.  If you are
interested in attending the meeting please call the zoning board to be
sure
it has not been changed.  Their number is 800-733-5389 or 352-486-5198.
Rob Corbitt is head of the department.

The impact of a mining operation writhing 4000 feet of one of the most
pristine Florida State Parks that we have left would be a tragedy of
untold
magnitude.  The damage to the fragile aquifer that surrounds Manatee
Springs
would be certain to have a detrimental impact on the spring itself.
Please
help us to prevent this.

I am a seventh generation Floridian and have seen many rivers and
springs
destroyed in my lifetime.  I know that you are well aware that the
ecological system that supports rivers and springs extends for a great
distance around them.  I moved to this area to be near Manatee Springs
and
although this is impacting me directly, it truly will impact all
Floridians
and the many people from other states and countries that visit this
beautiful and irreplaceable spring.

STOP THE “MANATEE PIT” LIMEROCK MINE
VISIBLE FROM CLAY LANDING ROAD AND MANATEE SPRINGS ROAD (CR 320)

Here’s what you can do:

1)  MOST IMPORTANT--COME TO THE ZONING MEETING MONDAY AUGUST 6 at 7:30pm
in
the County Commissioners Room, Levy County Courthouse, Bronson.  Call
and
make sure that it has not been postponed 1-800-733-5389 or 352-486-5198,
ask
for the Building and Zoning office.

2)  AS IMPORTANT:  Write a letter protesting this zoning exception:
Levy
County Building and Zoning, Levy County Courthouse, PO Box 672, Bronson,

Florida 32621.  It must be received in the office by July  27,  ten days

prior to the zoning meeting.  You can also fax this letter to
1-352-486-5246.  Even if you are coming it is important to send a letter

also.

3) Call the county commissioners:  Tony Parker: 352-486--2271, Don
Foley:
352-493-4535, Sammy Yearty: 352-486-2053, Lilly Rooks: 352-543-5191,
Danny
Stevens: 352-528-5731.

4) This petition goes first to the Zoning & Planning Commission:  C. R.
Lowmann (Rowdy), Eugene Pollack, Tommy Thompson (chairman, P.O. Box 40,
Inglis, FL 34449, phone 352-447-2328), Duncan McCallum, Susan Haynes.
If
approved it goes thirty days later to the Adjustment Board:  Elton Cobb,

Eugene Carter, Thadus Barber, Jr., Dennis Andrews, Donald Harris,
alternate
Lou Janney.

5) What needs to go in letter that has to be received by July 27:
Legitimate concerns as to how it will affect you personally, your
livestock,
air quality, heavy truck traffic and increased accidents,  noise
pollution,
detrimental effects on wildlife from traffic, air, noise pollution.
Damage
to structure from blasting, collapsing of wells from seismic shocks.
Fine
dust is known to endanger the survival of some bird species,
(hummingbirds). Outside ponds with goldfish, karp, or catfish, etc. are
detrimentally impacted by fine dust and excessive noise.  Anything else
that
affects you personally.  Can be faxed 352- 486-5246.

6)  Sign the petition.

7) Tell people about the mine and pass out posters yourself.

8)  Help with the legal fees.

9) Join the email alert:  <StopThePit at hotmail_com>  Send out warning to
your
own email list.

10)  Write letters to the editor: Chiefland Citizen, PO Drawer
980,Chiefland, Fl 32644         phone 493-4796, Fax them letters:
493-9336.
  Gainesville Sun, PO Box 147147, Gainesville,          32614-7174, Fax
352-338-3128, phone 352-378-1411.

Email <Layneredmond at hotmail_com> to obtain posters and petitions.