Re: NFC: scatterbrain-proof live food rasing

An outside tank/plastic gargage can/pond is good for mosquito larva, scuds
and bloodworms, although if it gets too warm - as in Phoenix, the cultures
will die out.  You'll need to introduce a few scuds to get those going, the
others take care of themselves.  It helps to add some dead weeds and stuff -
some use a little garden soil, or even manure - to get the bottom of the
food-chain off to a good start.  If you use this last ingredient, it's
probably best to aerate your tank/vat.  Your neighbors will appreciate you
if you harvest the mosquito larva OFTEN.  They're generally happiest if they
don't know about it at all!

I've heard that the older 'bull larva' (the pupa stage?) are dangerous for
small fish, and can actually chew their way out of a fish's stomach, but
I've never seen it happen - still talking mosquito larva, here.  I'd be
interested if anyone has any experience or information on this - old wive's
tale, or fact?

Microworms are pretty trouble-free, but the cultures do go bad after a
while.  Confused flour beetles are good and trouble free, although a little
hard to harvest.

Good luck!

Scott