NFC: NFC NEWS

News Flash The Native Fish Conservancy www.nativefish.org
September 1st 2000 : Delays in Finding the DNA markers of an true Blue Pike
have slowed down the Blue Pike Hunt. Unfourtunatly until we know what a Blue
Pike is/was genetically we cant declare a winner. But keep storing those
suspect fish. We will have a winner sooner or later.Dieter Bush head
Biologist on the Blue Pike Project writes :

I stopped and visited the lab and the department head August 31, 2000 to
talk about blue pike DNA research and other work with other species..  No
recent progress has been made on blue pike research because the person who
had worked for me on this project with the lab has left the government for
private work.  The lab is in the process of hiring a new researcher - this
will take another month or so.  The lab had worked on 3 museum fish and the
results were not clear.  Therefore, this sample size will be increased to
about 50 fish.  but all this will wait until the new person is on board.
Therefore, I do not expect any meaningful results until the end of this
year.

I do no like the amount of time this has taken but can not do anything about
it.

Dieter Busch
Director, Interstate Fisheries Management Program
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission

Press Release: The Native Fish Conservancy (NFC) May 25 2000,
http://www.nativefish.org

The NFC has received 15 plus suspect Blue Pike queries in the last 60 days
as a result of our reward and increased publicity. We were recently an
integral part of an In Fisherman Blue Pike article in their Walleye section
of the January 2000 issue. We are working with US Fish and Wildlife Service
on this issue and will turn over all suspect fish to them for DNA analysis.

To recap the NFC is offering a $500 reward to ANYONE who can produce a
recently caught Blue Pike or hybrid. To win send a close up picture of the
head of the suspect fish along with your collecting data to

NFC BLUE PIKE HUNT -8436 Meadow Lane-Leawood Ks.-66206

To win you must have Fish or Fish parts to DNA analyze so freeze a whole
pike if you can or at least the skin and fins. We will contact you for the
fish/skin if your suspect looks promising. Check out the NFC's website's
Blue Pike page at www.nativefish.org for the latest Blue Pike news