NFC: [Fwd: Not for oscar lovers.]

Somebody posted the URL for the NFC webpage, with the recipes for Oscars,
on the rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc newsgroup. Well, this has caused quite a
stir over there. Imagine someone eating their precious little pets. Anyway,
if you haven't been reading the thread, I have copied my latest reply to
another message. I'm going to throw this out to you and see what you all
think about this. Is this a "holy" war that can't be won? Should we ignore
the ignorant and continue to work in private?  Personnally I'd like to see
more members of the NFC follow these newsgroups and pounce on this type of
topic. I'd also like to see them assist in answering questions regarding
native fishes. I have seen a few, but far less then I would have expected.
I know that the NFC's primary mission is not the keeping of natives in
Aquaria, but it's got to be a large part of it. Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?

Ty

I think the real problem is the lack of sensitivty towards our native
fishes. It's time for "TRUE Aquarists" to
take responsibility for their so called beloved pets and stop releasing
them in to the local pond, lake or stream
when they get too big or have become an inconvenience. Those Oscars would
not be in Florida waters if some moron
had not turned them loose. I have read almost all of the posts in this
thread and NO ONE said that you should eat
your pets. Nor did anyone advocate buying pet fish for the purpose of
eating them. There is nothing wrong with
eating an Oscar that was caught from the wild. It's a fish. Just like a
Tuna or a Salmon or any other fish people
eat on a regular basis. If I were out fishing and I caught an Oscar you can
bet he's not going to be released. He
may not be eaten either, but the needs of the native fish and the habitat
they live in is much more important then
the needs of that single fish. If that is a problem for someone then I
suggest that they do something to prevent
the fish from getting there in the first place, instead of whining when
others make the tough call and clean up
the mess that has been created. Start a rescue for your favorite species or
talk to the LFS's in your area and try
to make them more conscientious about their selling practices. For example,
almost all of the LFS's, within a 30
mile radius from where I am, have Pacu's, Arrowana's, Red Tail Catfish and
several other breeds of fish that are
COMPLETELY unacceptable as aquarium fish. All of these fish need HUGE
aquariums, well beyond the budget and
capabilities of the average home aquarist. Talk to them! Ask them to stop
selling these fish. Remind people that
turning fish loose is WRONG! Remember if you are not part of the cure then
your part of the problem. The NFC page
may need a little "sensitivity padding" but at least they are part of the
cure. They are out there trying to solve
the problem. Do you have any better ideas? What are you actually doing to
help? I haven't seen anything posted to
this newsgroup that even remotely suggests anyone here is doing anything to
improve the conditions of our native
fishes. This is a great hobby and one I enjoy tremendously, but it is not
just about keeping fish in a tank.

Ty

<Archimedes at bogus_localink4.com> writes:
> > QUOTH PAPPI69 at webtv_net (PATTI):
>
> > Yeah, they have personalities and all that.  They are great pets.  And
they can
> > exterminate native US species.  That's why we say..."Save a native-eat
an
> > oscar!"
>
> The real problem here seems to be the lack of sensitivity
> that "oscar-eating" advocates have been displaying towards
> oscar-keepers.
>
> Look, no one likes the fact that introduced exotics are wreaking
> havoc on the ecosystem. If there are people out there who want
> to do the environment a favor and remove exotics, and in some
> cases make a meal of them, that's fine.
>
> But there is no need to flaunt it. And when trying to explain
> what this "oscar-eating" is all about, it should be put in
> proper context (as Archimedes did) and in a sensitive manner.
> One of the posters, Patti, I believe, has pet oscars that she
> clearly feels affection towards and finds the idea of eating
> them repulsive. In a society where oscars are regarded as pets,
> her reaction can be considered normal. It is *no different*
> from finding the consumption of feral dogs and cats repulsive
> (a practise, however, that is considered acceptable in some
> countries).
>
> Right now, we need all fish-keepers to rally in support of
> North American native fish conservation. The recipes on the
> NFC page, sorely in need of a little sensitivity padding,
> and the obnoxious-sounding "save a native-eat an oscar"
> slogan only serves to alienate tropical fish enthusiasts from
> native fish enthusiasts.
>
> - shireen
> --
> Shireen Gonzaga, Data Analyst, WFPC2 group, Space Telescope Science
Institute