Re: nemos live food

The culture you describe sounds just like microworm cultures that used to be
sold in this area (Ohio). If they seem larger, it could be differences in
what you are feeding them, or in the mix of species you are culturing. There
can be four of five species of microworms in one culture. You could contact
That Fish Place for specific information about your purchase from them.
1-888-THATPET or
http://www.thatpetplace.com
White worms are earthworm cousins, quite different from microworms. They are
segmented, with little patches of stiff hairs they use in locomotion. Locally
I could always find them in the woods by the gallon under really old hickory
and beech logs when the weather was cool in the spring and fall (50's
fahrenheit). The first time I saw them, I thought it was some kind of pure
white mushroom. They were just pure worms, no dirt, sticking to the bottom
side of the logs. This is the first year that the woods are gone, and I may
have to culture them like everyone else does. They can be raised in a plastic
shoe or sweater box in the refrigerator. Cut a couple rectangles out of the
lid. Take some slightly larger metal window screen and lap over the holes
from the underside. With an old iron, iron the screen into the plastic which
will melt slightly. Do this on a firm noncombustible surface, like the
sidewalk, or a piece of slate. If you use a new iron, you will have to clean
bits of plastic off the iron. Save the plastic rectangles. Fill the box with
dirt or damp shredded newspaper. Add the whiteworm culture -- this will not
work with microworms -- and feed them fish food that your fish don't care
for, Purina cat chow, or commercial worm food for red worms. Set the plastic
squares on top to cover and uncover the screening so that you can control the
humidity in the box. It should be damp, not wet or dry. Next time I do this,
I will set some hickory bark on top of the culture to see if the worms will
congregate under it like they did in the wild. Gosh I haven't had to do this
in years. Do they still make hard plastic shoe boxes?