Prefer easy cultures...

I'm new to the list, and new to raising food, so bare with me.  After
reading the live-food FAQ, it looks like most of the foods are pretty
easy to keep, but I do have a few questions.

I got some daphnia from a friend, and have been keeping it in a one
gallon jar with slow large bubble aeration.  I've been feeding them
sweet potato puree (baby food), as I read from a magazine, and keep them
at room temperature.  I've been trying to cultivate green water to use
as food with trace chelated iron mix and regular Miracle Grow in another
one gallon jar outside in the sun.  So here are my questions:

1) How is the sweet potato as a food for the daphnia?
2) How do others make the green water to feed daphnia?
3) If others use Miracle Grow, what is the dilution rate used
(teaspoon/gallon, etc.)?
4) I have read to use both gentle and vigorous aeration for the daphnia
culture (and have read about air getting trapped in the shell).  What is
the best aeration method?  If large bubbles are used, can it be
vigorous?
5) What do most people use as daphnia culture setups?  10gal tanks?
1gal jars?  2Liter bottles?

I am looking for another kind of live food to use with small characins.
Is there something like daphnia that are really easy to keep and don't
require much care that you all would suggest?

Thanks,

Mark
------
pearlsco at u_washington.edu
How much does a fish need a bicycle like a man needs... ?