Krib fry feeding and microworm culturing

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:56:25 -0500
> From: William Vannerson <William_Vannerson at ama-assn_org>
> Subject: BBS Longevity
>
> I have a 10 gallon tank at work where the Kribs have just
> spawned and the fry should become free swimming in about a
> day.  I don't want to set up a brine shrimp hatchery in the
> office if I can avoid it.

Krib fry don't need live food beyond what they can find in the gravel
and plants.  They are fairly large, like most cichlid fry, and eager
bottom feeders.  They will do just fine with powdered dry food and
perhaps some frozen baby brine shrimp.

Btw, regarding the smell of microworm cultures.  I've been growing
mine on lightly cooked oat bran, sometimes with added brewer's (inactive)
yeast.  They do quite well, and the odor is minimal and not really
unpleasant.  I wonder if most of the odor problems people have are
due to high-protein media, like enriched baby cereal, which usually
have milk and/or soy milk added.