not quite daphnia

I was starting a wild daphnia culture from some water hyacinth sources. The
green water never cleared. When I poured it out to catch a backswimmer there
were a zillion "dots" on the bottom in the slime. I added some water and they
took off swimming. They swim in smooth arching paths. They do not have the
kicking erratic daphnia motion. I found the same bugs in my duckweed culture.
They take off, swim in a arc and land. What might they be, thank you.
(cyclops?)