Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #111

Many daphnia problems come from overfeeding, particulary of yeast, which can
outgrow and outcompete the daphnia once the yeast gets too far ahead.

Also, if you had a bloom and didn't harvest most of it, that can cause a
crash.  Why?
Maybe a rapid buildup of wastes in the water?

I have two tubs in my furnace room that produce more daphnia than I can use.
To prevent overpopulation I harvest and freeze the excess.  I feed about a
half teaspoon of a mixture of yeast and soy flour, dissolved in water, about
5 days a week, when the water gets relatively clear.  I don't aerate.

Good luck!

In a message dated 1/22/2001 4:10:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,