Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #29

Hello Jeremy,

You are probably right on both counts:

There are probably more that one or two species of Cladocerans (the
family of crustaceans that Daphnia belong to) living in the same body of
water. They usually "bloom" at different times of the year, so in the
Summer you are likely to collect a different species then in the Winter.
Many species "bloom" more than once a year.

Some species will give you a resonable yield all year around, provided
that you harvest them often and not let the culture buid up to dense and
crash. Populatuion management is very important in efficient culturing!

Best,

George