Re: NFC: Re: Heterandria

that remains a good question....Kim the guy from Arizona is a gentisist
and he reports that studies have found that melanism is a usually
detrimental quality in fish  so he would be surprised if the melanistic
heterandria bred...He also keeps  heterandria....

BTW I sent  a mop with Fundulus eggs in it to scott page in washington
state and he had 6 fry hatch out in the last day or so...sent the entire
mop in a bag of water ....very durable large fry allready eating
well....They are the Melanistic Fundulus Chrysotus

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999 15:20:35 -0700 Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
writes:

>robert a rice wrote:
>>
>> Was putting some mosquito larvae into one of my ditch tanks and
>notice a
>> female heterandria wit h2 large red spots one on the top one on the
>> bottom...I also saw a black speckeled female...Does anyone know if
>either
>> trait breeds true  ? TIA
>
>When I had *H. formosa* before, the eyespot in the dorsal was
>surrounded by
>a vivid red spot. I picked up a pair collected from N. of Lake
>Ponchatrain
>last fall, and immediately lost the male. The female gave me a few
>babies
>and I just stuck them in with a tank of *Poecilia sp.* "Endler's" as
>thought none were male. (Wrong -- have babies, now)
>
>These all seem to have no red at all, but my chance to see the males
>is
>pretty limited.
>
>My questions are: How much variation should we see in *H. formosa*
>from
>different collection locations? How variable do they tend to be in a
>fixed
>location/population?
>
>TIA
>
>Wright
>
>--
>Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntleyone at home dot
>com
>
>         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
>     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.
>             *** http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ***

Robert Rice
Help Preserve our Aquatic Heritage join the Native Fish Conservancy
online
 at our website http://www.nativefish.org