Re: NFC: Re: Heterandria

robert a rice wrote:

> Was putting some mosquito larvae into one of my ditch tanks and notice a
> female heterandria wit h2 large red spots one on the top one on the
> bottom...I also saw a black speckeled female...Does anyone know if either
> trait breeds true  ? TIA

When I had *H. formosa* before, the eyespot in the dorsal was surrounded by
a vivid red spot. I picked up a pair collected from N. of Lake Ponchatrain
last fall, and immediately lost the male. The female gave me a few babies
and I just stuck them in with a tank of *Poecilia sp.* "Endler's" as I
thought none were male. (Wrong -- have babies, now)

These all seem to have no red at all, but my chance to see the males is
pretty limited.

My questions are: How much variation should we see in *H. formosa* from
different collection locations? How variable do they tend to be in a fixed
location/population?

TIA

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.